Saturday 29 June 2013

Surfer

Headed east to Filey early doors and was soon watching a smart drake Surf Scoter with a gang of Common Scoters just off the Brigg. The tide was in, so I watched from the cliff top. The bird frequently stretched it's head up skywards as if showing off the white nape patch to the female Common Scoters it was with. When asleep, it was easy to overlook, especially if the white nape patch was not obvious. It has been a while since I have seen a drake Surfer in the UK and to add the species to my tiny Yorkshire list in this way was top drawer. I had half an hour's seawatch before Dad duties called me back west. The Cory's Shear had gone back south past Spurn and a few Manx were the only birds of note besides the usual hordes of auks, Gannets and Kitts.





No comments: